November 14, 2011

the french alps

i wanted to stay in this relaxing place for the rest of my life. this past weekend, we visited Chamounix, France. it was a small ski town about an hour outside of Geneva. Funny story: I thought we were going to Geneva because that is where we flew into. Well, little did I know we were going to France, not Switzerland for the weekend. this is just another example of how traveling can begin to wear on ya. i am constantly asking myself the question, "what country am i in?" i have also learned how to say 'thank you' in 4 languages: Grazie (Italian), Merci (French), Danca (German), and Gracias (Spanish). I am always saying the wrong language in the wrong country. all this traveling is starting to show.

but at 530am on Friday, a group of us left for France. the intent of going away to the Alps was to just relax and eat.. and that's what we did! In Chamounix, cheese fondu is a traditional favorite. i love cheese, but not enough to eat it for a meal. Katie got it one lunch and I had some... OHMYWORD. this stuff was to-die-for! we dipped some bread into this delicious cheese and it just melts in your mouth. It wasnt like American cheese, it was a sweet cheese. #YUM. On saturday, we took a train up the top of a mountain and got a birds-eye of the city and of the surrounding Alps. Breathtaking views and scenery. However, it was FREEZING up there, so we only lasted about 25 minutes. 'Us folks from small town auburn, alabama aint used to that fridged-ness.'

as these months are coming to an end, i cant help but realize how BLESSED i am to see it all. i never imagined i would be standing on the French Alps. it is amazing to see where God takes you. God has had me on a wild ride through His creation...and i cant help but just be in awe of it.
katie and i
our hotel lobby; isnt it just cozy?!
the french alps
cassie, leah, sara, katie, lindsay, and i in Chamounix
of course we had chocolate crepes one afternoon

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful. I have loved my journey traveling through your journey! It has been so fun to watch you and your friends and read all your amazing words. How blessed you have been these last few months. See you in a few! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet sweet Elle......your blog makes me smile. Your journal entries and pictures capture the essence of who you are and how you have grown during your journey abroad. I have loved each entry you have posted and felt I had been there with you. I know you will take these memories and cherish them always. I am thankful you have had this wonderful experience...... But........I'm ready for you to be HOME! The candles, rice krispie treats, ice water and "the cloud" await your arrival. Still missing you but loving you way more:). LYF

    ReplyDelete